Thursday, May 7, 2015

Wings For Life World Run - Re-Cap


Earlier this week I was part of an unforgettable day and night of running and inspiration. I along with some friends (including Jean from Traveling Honeybird) were just a few of the 101,280 people who partook in the Wings for Life World Run. I ran in my home town Melbourne, Australia, which was just one of the 35 race locations around the world where the run took place.

Introduced in 2014, the Wings for Life World Run is a global running event held annually in May. This year on 3 May 3, athletes in 35 locations around the world started at precisely the same time, 11am UTC. As if that wasn’t unique enough, the race has no finish line. Instead, you are followed by a Catcher Car, which takes off 30 minutes after the start at 15km/h and steadily increases its speed until the last athletes have been caught.

I had set my target as being some where between 5-10km, I knew I would smash 5km and would be happy to reach 10km before the Catcher Car caught up with me. In the week leading up to the race I did a really good run which made me reconsider my goals, it looked as though I should be aiming for 10-15km. In the end on race day I managed to reach 12.69km before the Catcher Car caught me. This is the best I've run in my entire life and is something I'm rather proud of not just achieving but being a part of.

In case you're curious the winner was two-time global champion, Lemawork Ketema, he was caught after 78 km in 2014 and 79.9km in 2015. That's a lot of running!

This unique event raised €4.2 million for Wings for Life to take the foundation another step closer to finding a cure for spinal cord injury. Worldwide, millions of people are dependent on a wheelchair after having sustained a spinal cord injury. Wings for Life is a not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation with a mission to find a cure for spinal cord injury. Since 2004, Wings for Life has funded life-changing research projects and clinical trials around the globe. While the cure is still to be found, steady progress has been made. The funds raised in the inaugural Wings for Life World Run and all future entry fees and sponsorship of this global running event will help work towards their ultimate goal.

To find out more and to pre-register for 2016 visit www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com