Monday, May 5, 2014

DreamWorks Animation: The Exhibition

Kung Fu Panda copyright Dreamworks 2014
I love winter in Melbourne, it's not just the fashion and the way the city looks but that we have the Melbourne Winter Masterpieces exhibitions. I always look forward to hearing about what is coming up. This season I was delighted to hear that at ACMI it was going to be all about DreamWorks and the journey from sketch to screen.

As my birthday is in April I was going to treat myself to this exhibition as I've loved previous ones such as those featuring works from Pixar, Disney and Tim Burton. Each and every one has been an absolute feast for the creative in me. However I was lucky enough to be offered a double pass from Haystac to see DreamWorks Animation: The Exhibition, which oddly enough turned out to enhance my experience of the exhibition.

So who was my plus one? Well a friend of mine and fellow artist who works as an animator and just so happened to of worked at DreamWorks on some of the animations that were on display. I got to ask them questions and find out some odd bits of information about what it is like working at DreamWorks.

Though I'm not going going to tell you who the friend is or what tales they told me I'am going to tell you what I thought about the exhibition.

In short, it is amazing and well worth checking out, whether your a fan of just one of the animations such as How To Train Your Dragon, Shrek or Shark Tale, or that you've a keen interest in DreamWorks and how they go about creating this much loves animations from scratch.

DreamWorks Animation: The Exhibition truly does provide an unique insight into the creative process behind the studio's on-screen magic and a rare glimpse into their artistic and visionary approach to animation. You get to experience what it is like to ride a dragon in a 180 degree cinema experience (yes, I watched it twice), see the works of the artists from digital paintings to rough sketches, have a play with creating some animated pieces yourself, see models of all your favourite characters and see inside the process from sketch to screen.

If you're in Melbourne take the time and check out this exhibition as it is a visual feast.

DreamWorks Animation: The Exhibition
ACMI, Melbourne, Australia
When: Thursday 10 April - Sunday 5 October 2014, Open daily 10am - 5pm (Thursdays until 9pm)  Cost: General Admission Full $22.50 Concession $16 Child (4-15 years) $10 Family Pass (2 adults & 2 children) $50 Family Pass (1 adult & 2 children) $32.50.
Website: www.acmi.net.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com