On the side for paid media was, Sarah Stringer from Carat, Lisa Messenger from Renegade Collective and Rene L'estrange-Nickson from Broadsheet. For earned media was Phoebe Montague of Lady Mebourne, Janice Breen Burns from Voxfrock.com.au and Anton Staindl from Haystac.
The debate was based around where should businesses invest their marketing media dollars? Is paid media better than earned media? Whilst the guests were on the catwalk making their point I took many notes, some of which are below:
- Grow your own media first, before looking at paid and earned media.
- Bought media creates brands - as brands can control them
- Look at multiple platforms for spreading your content.
- Don't underestimate the power of creativity - capture the imagination of your consumer base both with earned and paid media.
- When looking at earned media choose a blogger that suits your brand, do your research.
- Have a reason for creating content not just because.
- A Scatter gun approach is not suitable, especially with earned.
- Spend the time and effort on your own media assets. Create something interesting enough for people to want to visit and stay awhile.
- Follow Sarah Stringer of Twitter at @string_a_ling, she is hilarious!