I've since had a look at what others are saying in regards to self-promotion and some of the things that are out there have my jaw dropping to the ground.
However I do like how Nathan Hangen over on Copy Blogger defines it "... self-promotion is the art of spreading ideas, concepts, and a greater vision. Self-adulation is just the promotion of accomplishments, deeds that have already been done."
I think you need to have a balance of both, whilst it's great to share your achievements you need to ensure you're not just creating a list of things you've done.
Some quick tips:
- Think about the target audience, who is looking at or hearing what you're saying.
- Don't be afraid to share links to your website, social platforms, emails ect.
- Have business cards on hand, whilst we are in a digital age people still love to be given a business card. It's a non-in-your-face way of sharing your blog.
- Create a press section for your blog, it allows those that want to see where articles about you are written without throwing it in their face.
- Maybe even follow Decor8 Holly Becker's lead and write one post a week that captures all the "good news things" going on in your life.
- Depending on the medium it can be more about self-adulation, such as an online portfolio, where of course it's going to be about the work you've done.
- Have a think about those who you think do self-promotion well and look at what they're doing, see if maybe you can do those things too.
Do you have any tips when it comes to self-promotion?