Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hints + Tips - Give Yourself A Break

Brushes by Nicole Tattersall 

I remember once over hearing someone say that a true artist should do their craft everyday. This is all very well and good, but I believe that you need time to reflect and reset yourself.

I paddle a K2 with my sister and we generally paddle about 13 kms a session. At various times during one session we'll pause for a moment correct our posture and get back to it. If we were to keep paddling and not stop to correct ourselves we'd end up paddling with an incorrect stroke and could end up causing damage to our body and technique. Plus we'd feel uncomfortable and not enjoy it nearly as much.

This is the same approach I take to my art and illustration, if I were to paint every day I would become stale, it would become a chore and I wouldn't enjoy it. So I take time off from my art, giving myself time to reset and reflect on what it is I'm creating.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't think lazing around all day is productive you need to be doing something. So what do I do with my art-time when I'm taking a break? We'll I visit exhibitions, catch-up with other creative people, research, look for opportunities and attempt to tidy my studio/office.

So take some time out to reset yourself, get inspired and return back to your craft with more enthusiasm than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com