Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hints + Tips - The Death Of Google Reader

What? Uh? No way? I read over the weekend in response to Google's decision to retire its RSS Reader that Twitter is a far superior way of digesting news. Whilst I'm an avid fan of twitter, it could never fill the spot of Google Reader for me. Which is why I was disappointed to hear that as of July this year Google Reader will be no more.

Google Reeader launched in 2005 in an effort to make it easy for people to discover and keep tabs on their favorite websites. I use it for that purpose and more, I use it to keep track of where articles about my art pop up, where events and exhibitions I'm organising are written about, and keep track of what's happening in the creative scene.

Whilst Twitter, Flipbook and other similar ways of accessing news are great, you only really get to see the news which is the most popular. The unique articles from smaller news sources get lost amongst the news of the next tragic pop star or the latest sporting scandal. 

So what's the solution? Well, those that are interested in RSS alternatives you can export you data, including your subscriptions, with Google Takeout over the course of the next four months.

It also looks as if viable alternatives to Google Reader are going to emerge. “We’ll be forced to fill the hole that Reader will leave behind…We’re finally likely to see substantial innovation and competition in RSS desktop apps and sync platforms for the first time in almost a decade.” says Instapaper’s creator Marco Arment.

Alternatives are sure to pop up in the near future, with Search Engine Marketing Land already creating a big list of options. Digg is apparently working on a Reader-like service too. For those who use Feedly and Reeder, (two apps that integrate with Google Reader), there is no need to panic just yet as they appear to be staying put.

But what to do? We'll I'm going to see what alternatives pop up in the next four months and make my choice from there. I'll also export my data using Google Takeout. It will be interesting to see what happens. What will you be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com