Friday, February 1, 2013

Review: Dell XPS 12

Recently I was sent from Dell the Dell XPS 12 Convertible Ultrabook, for those of whom who have not seen the ads for it, it transform from just being an Ultrabook to a tablet with a flip-and-fold motion, which is pretty neat and handy. 

Though there is a slight issue, my own computer is an Apple and so I don't have any programs to use with the Windows 8 Pro operating system. Coupled with the fact that there is a significant lack of apps available to download in the store, I've not yet been able to push the Dell XPS 12 Convertible Ultrabook beyond the limitations of internet browsing and publishing online content. I look forward to seeing how it goes when I take it to lectures when uni starts back in March.

It is one sleek looking machine, constructed from machined aluminum, bonded Corning Gorilla Glass and carbon fiber, its not only feels durable but stylish too.

I have used it in my studio too I've found the function of the flip-able screen really handy for when painting and using reference images. Probably not the reason they designed it, but it's really handy.

The  Dell XPS 12 Convertible Ultrabook boots up incredibly fast, it takes between 10 - 15 seconds for it to start up, which has thrown me out a little as I generally hit the power button, go and make a cup of coffee and come back.

The only flaws I've found so far is that the orientation tends to either get stuck or takes a while to right it self. I've had a look online and this seems to be a common occurrence. The touch pad is rather noisy, it has a "empty" like sound to it and sticks often, not as smooth to operate as I had expected.

Some have noted how heavy it is, weighing in 1.54kg, to put it in context most 13-inch Ultrabooks are around the 1.3kg mark, so the extra weight considering the screen is an inch smaller might deter some people. Comparing it to my 15inch titanium MacBook Pro it feels a little lighter.

All in all, it's a nice piece of equipment and I look forward to seeing how it goes when I take it to Uni in the coming months. It's been perfect for me in the studio and for working online to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com