Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hints + Tips - Get Out There

Recently I made the most important speech of my life to date and oh how I hope I don't have to do another like that anytime soon. I wanted to include in the speech a quote from a creative person during the early 1900's.

So I turned to Ernest Hemingway, I did look into other important creatives during that period including the likes of Salvador Dali, Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein, but their words didn't quite have the right feel or context for what I was after.

Whilst flipping through quote after quote from Hemingway I noticed a few bits of advice that I felt were relevant to creatives today. Which simply is to have something to write about or express in a creative form you first need to have experiences. Oddly enough this is something I've thought about when people tell me that they "tried to summon their inner Hemingway". I doubt many people in the modern day could relate to his experiences.

“In order to write about life first you must live it.” - Ernest Hemingway

I find many people don't go out and experience life, take risks or explore further. How can you have something to write about or represent if you don't go out and experience what life has to offer, whether it's a good or bad experience. Yes, there is imagination but I also think that there is regurgitation of other peoples ideas.

For me I strongly believe that what makes a talented creative person is their life experience, which is something that cannot be taught. I think through knowing first hand makes it easier to select the important parts to express.

So whether it be simply going for a walk down an unknown street or traveling half way around the world to live in a new city - get out and experience life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com