Tuesday, August 10, 2010

On Bacon & Brett: PHEELIX

I've tried to sum up this exhibition in my own words and realised I could not do it any better than the man himself...

"Francis Bacon famously remarked to Brett Whiteley at the opening of his ‘Christie-series’ in 1965, “You use me the way I use Velásquez...”
There is a grand tradition of artists reacting and rebounding off each other throughout history, not just in style and substance but directly referencing and re-mixing imagery.
I believe we are all enveloped in a collagé- not in an academic sense but personally, physically, creatively and socially.
My blend is of the spraycan and the past- Oils, illustration, construction and conversation. This body of work is not simply visual essays on these prominent artists; but more about my long-term digestion of their influence and a reflection on myself, as just another cog in the on-going Armageddon of now." - Pheelix

Melbourne
For Walls Gallery
Miss Libertine
34 Franklin Street, Melbourne
Exhibition Opening: Wednesday 11 August, 6pm - 8pm
Exhibition: Wednesday 11 August - Wednesday 25 August
Website: www.misslibertine.com.au
Facebook Event: www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=132484743460844

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com