Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What Was Good Design? MoMA’s Message 1944–56

How I love good design, especially when it is function and form combined to make something that is not just beautiful but also serves a purpose, whether it be a chair to a humble container. Which is why I’m delighted to tell you about ‘What Was Good Design?’ which is starting this week at MoMA in New York.

During the the 1930s and following World War II MoMA played a leading role in the definition and dissemination, as well as highlighting the key elements that makes a piece ‘Good Design’.
This exhibition will feature pieces declared as ‘Good Design’ and exhibits designers like Charles and Ray Eames and Hans Wegner, alongside items ranging from a hunting bow to a plumb bob, an iron to a rake, and even good old Tupperware.

On my last and only trip to New York I manage to visit MOMA and was in pure awe of the catalog of pieces that they have in their possession and got all excited about almost every display! I wish I could visit this exhibition as I’ve not seen such an in depth display of beautiful modern design since then, though sadly I’m not going to New York again anytime in the near future.
If you do go feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you thought of it as I would love to hear about it!

New York, USA
The Museum of Modern Art
Architecture and Design Galleries, Third Floor
11 West 53 Street New York, NY, USA
Exhibition: Wednesday 6 May – Monday 30 November, 2009
Website: www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/958

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com