Sunday, November 30, 2008

Recent Illustrations by Kelly Thompson

"I was always discouraged during life drawing classes and received terrible marks as I constantly wanted to clean up my page instead of leaving scribbles and scribbling over them... the mess drove me crazy and my marks were sacrificed for the pure joy of my eraser and a sharp pencil.

My drawings are not necessarily the fruit of a highly intensive research project, as was taught a necessity at university, and previously my works have purely been inspired by models I have worked with who express a strong presence or whom capture me with their stare.

My earlier magazine fashion pages are usually a product of a simple brief such as "we want liquid eyeliner", or "a blonde, brunette and red head please"... and the majority of the time I just feel the urge to draw something so sit down and do just that.

"Recent Works" is a collection of images that I am viewing as work in progress. It is a step away from my previous works that involved areas of block colours and had more graphic appeal, and is very much pulled back and cleaned out... I'm further investigating the idea of female sexuality after having highly varied and often surprising reactions to the first image "Lilli"..." - Kelly's Artist Statement Via Pixel Ink Gallery Website
Wellington, NZ
Pixel Ink Gallery
12 Constable Street, Newtown, NZ
Exhibition Opening: Wednesday 3 December 2008, 5.30pm - 7.30pm
Exhibition: Wednesday 3 to Sunday 14 December 2008
Website: www.pixelink.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com