Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Interesting Or Not So Interesting With WA based Willem

On the 1st of October I featured 5 Australian Esty sellers, one of them being Willem a highly talented person who creates pieces that can best be described as wearable art as I feel that by describing them as jewelery is to much of a general term. I couldn't resist not asking him to be apart of Interesting or not so Interesting to find out more about Willem and his pieces.
Q. Willem, recently I featured your wonderful pieces in my Etsy Feature and would now love for you to be my next interviewee with interesting or not so interesting people for my blog. Are you up for it? Which category do you think you fall into interesting or not so interesting? Why?
A. Would love to answer your questions,
yes I think I am an interesting person as I feel I have lead a fascinating life with its many ups and downs, especially when I was flying.

Q. You've travelled the globe, and it shows through your work. Where do you think you are most inspired from?
A. I have also visited some very exciting places and met interesting people who have influenced me in ways that now have formed my life. Adding to all this I have a mixed cultural background: my mother being from Sri Lanka and my father Dutch, born in Indonesia and I did my tertiary education in the UK.

Q. Is there somewhere where you've not yet been but would like to travel to and explore their jewellery making skills?

A. Yes, I would like to travel to South America to learn more about their jewellery, their culture, especially as it has been influenced by the Myan and Inca dynasties. It is also such a colourful place.

Q. Where on Earth would you say is a must visit place? Why?
A. I would say Egypt because of its ancient history to visit their museums to see the wonderful pieces of jewellery reflecting this antiquity.

Q. Which medium do you prefer to work with most?
A. Metals, especially silver and gold when I can afford it.

Q. Has there ever been a medium you wished you could work with but it just didn't work? How did you deal with this?
A. I have recently been using rusty iron, which I found in a paddock on a friend’s farm. I have been trying to combine it with silver to make a new line of jewellery. I initially found it very hard and frustrating, especially soldering the two metals together, but finally I think I have managed to do it. One of my pictures shows this. (Above)

Q. What has been one of the most eyebrow raising comments you've received for your pieces?
A. A couple of pieces I have made have raised the comment that they are very sexual. Perhaps I should start an Erotica collection!!!

Q. Every artist seems to have turning points in their work, what is one of your biggest ones?
A. When I discovered fold forming through looking at and reading the works of Charles Newton-Brain. I have found this type of work exciting and I am still trying to discover new ways of working with it.

Q. Where can people find out more about you and check out your jewellery?
A. On my website: www.why-creations.com

Q. Cheers Willem, hope you've enjoyed this short Q&A?
A. Very much so. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com