Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Interesting Or Not So Interesting With The Very Talented Laura

Today I bring you one of my favorite Melbourne based artists, whose work stood out in a positive way when I saw it at the launch for Curvy 5 at Don't Come in Melbourne. Laura (L) work is created using various mediums and is best described as art and design with a twist of quirkiness, best shaken not stirred.
Recently working on her new studio in China Town and getting pieces ready for up and coming exhibitions this creative young lady took some time out to answer a few questions.

Q. Hi Laura, I've started doing a weekly interview with interesting or not so interesting people for my blog, would love for you to be one of the many more to come. Are you up for it? Do you think you fall into the interesting or not so interesting category?
A. I am interesting!

Q. Your a fellow Melbourne artist (Australia) like myself, what is the one must see thing for someone interested in the creative side of life, that you would recommend they check out if they came to visit?
A. I would take them to Curtin House on Swanston St. There they will find: the best art + design bookshop around 'Metropolis', shopping at Perks + Mini 'Someday store + gallery', delicious food at 'Cookie', 'Right Angle Publishing' - full of the spunkiest people, and ofcourse the Rooftop bar + cinema! Seriously you could spend a whole day in that building.

Q. I've a long list of Melbourne artists who's works I admire, who would have to be your top ones?
A. Beci Orpin, Justin Lee Williams, Thomas Rennie and Andre Piguet

Q. Which artists (living or dead) work do you admire the most and why? Who would you like most to meet?
A. My favorite artist is Picasso. I love that his first drawings were of pigeons. He had a freakish talent at such a young age, and was loved by so many beauties. I would enjoy meeting Matthew Barney. After seeing his Cremaster cycle I imagine he would be the most interesting + outrageous man.

Q. You've had your works shown in various big shows, is there one particular show that you felt was a huge turning point?
A. Being invited to have my work in the Curvy 08 exhibitions was amazing. My little chipmunk traveled to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne + across the sea to Auckland!
Q. What has been one of the most eye brow raising comments you've received for your works?
A. You know, a lot of people who don't appreciate design + art really do not understand or enjoy my work. I am not very good at explaining myself so I think their comments are probably the worst, but I still smile.

Q. Like most creative people I'm sure you've had some close calls or funny moments, any you would like to share?
A. Doing the photo shoot of my Horse + Bunny series was a lot of fun! I mean, those masks are kind of creepy if you are not expecting to see them sun baking at your local pier, or enjoying at picnic at the park!

Q. Anything new and exciting coming up for you? New projects?
A. I am frantically trying to finish my pieces for Extra Cheese II exhibition which will be in Sydney on Oct 3rd. It is exhibiting some brilliant artists + designers so I am stoked to be a part of it again. Other than that, issue three of my zine 'okay' and decking out my new studio in Chinatown!

Q. Where can people find out more about you and check out your art work?
A. My website: www.lauramckellar.com My myspace: www.myspace.com/supdoys or My blog which is updated most often: www.lauramckellar.blogspot.com

Q. Thank you Laura, hope you've enjoyed this short Q&A?
A. Totally! Thanks Nicole

1 comment:

  1. I love Laura's work. I discovered it about a year ago and I'm so glad to now see it popping up everywhere and getting recognition!!!

    ReplyDelete

Archive

 

Nicole Tattersall. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com